Chong Kyzyl Suu meteo station
Issyk Kul region • Kyrgyzstan • 2580 m
The geophysical station in the valley of Chong Kyzyl-Suu was built in 1948 by Germans, who have been captured in Kyrgyzstan. At that time, there was no way for cars to get to the station, so they had to transport all building materials on camels.
The purpose of the station was already then to observe the glaciers, mountains and the animal world. There worked hydrologists and geomorphologists from many different nations.
During the Sowjetunion many students from Moscow and St. Petersburg came here to get some practice and to write their graduation work. A lot of people got their doctor title due to this station.
Until 1991 there were many geographical expeditions, but for example also expeditions to observe the life of snow leopards.
From 1991 to 2003 it was a kind of a geological institute. In 2007 it got an institute for water problems as well as a hydro-energetic institute.
Until the year 2007 it was being named physical-geographical station, but then it got a new name: tien-shan high-alpine scientific center.
Today they work together with Chinese, American and French scientists. Its current director is Satilkanov Risbek Ablaievic.
Since 2003 they started to work with tourists as well. But even earlier, there have been tourist visiting the station. For tourists it’s got interesting things to see in a wonderful environment, where you do beautiful hikes to lovely lakes. The station has places for 18 people at a time. The inhabitants are very kind, but the life there is without luxury. (No current water, no electricity, outdoor toilet)
Transports can be organized from Jeti Oguz, Bishkek, Karakol, Siutuu Bulak or Djukku.