Almaty International Airport
Almaty International Airport is the largest international airport in Kazakhstan operating flights to more than 55 cities.
The first airport of Almaty was built in 1923, near the central stadium. In 1932, a P-3 make a first landing on the aerodrom of Almaty. The actual airport was founded in 1935 and inaugurate with a regular flight from Moscow with a Polikarpov R-5 on 8th of July 1936.The central building of the old airport, built in 1936 was designed by architects B. Zavarzina and G. Elkina. In November 1977, the supersonic TU144 had its first passenger flight from Moscow to Alma-Ata (Kazakhstan). Up to 1990 it was the part of Kazakh Department of Civil Aviation. On April 26, 1991, the airport was re-organized into Alma-Ata Airport, and since 1993 it runs as an independent business unit.
It is located about 15 km northeast of the center of Almaty.
The airport handled around 5 mio passengers and 50'000 flights annualy, and desserves 40 airlines companies. IATA code ALA.